CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 8, 2010

Death Valley Trail Marathon



I initially signed up for this race with the soul intension of having fun and seeing one of the most unique areas on the planet. I had no time goals, no goals of placing first in my AG - just to try something totally different and have fun. The race is normally run through Titus canyon on the north side of the valley - at an elevation of about 5000 feet above sea level. It is small boutique type marathon that is extremely unique and that draws athletes from all corners of the planet. Unfortunately the weather gods didnt cooperate as the temperature in the park over the past week plumeted well below seasonal and the area recieved 2 times its anual rain/snow fall in the 72 hours prior to the race. As a result, most of the park was closed because of flooding - most notably Titus canyon. So the race orgainizers were forced to resort to plan B - running the race at the lowest point in the park through the salt flats and sand dunes that are the reminants of an ancient sea bed. Also a very unique area and cool to view from the mountains that surround it - but a area which loses its appeal rather quickly when running a marathon through it.




In addition i had to drive to the race by myself and sleep in my car the night before the race as the area as virtually no places to stay short of a few cabins which were booked up long before i ever thought of registering for the race. Fortunately things worked out better than i expected. I had purchased a inflatable mattress just before leaving, but never measured the exact dimensions of the truck so had to just wing it and hope for the best. My initial idea was to just put blankets down as I thought the truck was too short for a regular sized mattress, but thought i could cram it in if it was at least close. When i arrived at the camp site it was pouring rain, and getting dark fast. I quickly found my water logged site and ripped open the box for the mattress and started to blow it up as fast as possible - which unfortunately wasnt too fast as the valved was huge and didnt fit my bike pump. At first i thought it was hopeless, but quickly it began to take shape. After about 15 minutes of hyperventilating it was done. I quickly shoved all my bags and crap into the front seats and moved them as far forward as possible and to my delight and surprise the mattress fit PERFECT. I through on the sheets and blankets i brought - SOO classy. Shortly there after the skys opened up and it began to rain even harder. And as i sat in my comfy little RV i couldnt help but thank god i didnt plan on sleeping in a tent.


And despite the freezing tempuratures outside I slept very well, and really never felt cold at all while under the covers. The next morning I woke up early as usual, and tried to figure out what the hell to wear. It was overcast and freezing out, and the forcast was for rain and t storms all day. I opted to put on everything i brought and figure it out later. Needless to say I wasnt cold waiting around for the start this time like i was in tucson.

The race itself was rather uneventful. After registering and being bused to the start line, the race was started with the blink of the tail lights from the official race SUV.

0 comments: